Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 8th: The Frisco Kid


Well, my movie recommended a 3 and a half hour movie this morning. I watched a full hour before developing a headache and taking a nap. Didn't work out. Well, I was looking through my DVDs for something that would qualify for my project, rather disappointed that it wouldn't be something spontaneous like originally planned. Well, In comes My Boyfriend, Johnathan, (Who goes by Tyler) to save the day with one of our favorite movies on HBO.

The Frisco Kid became a favorite of mine when my dad sat my bro and I down and had us watch it. The movie came out in 1979 starring Jean Wilder. Now, if you never knew his name, Jean Wilder was Willy Wonka before Johnny Depp did in Tim Burton's remake. Wilder is A Hasidic Jewish Rabbi named Abrum in the 1800s who is sent from Poland to go to San Fransisco to be their rabbi. Well, he gets robbed by some jerks and wanders around in the desert until he finds Tyler's reason for watching this movie, Harrison Ford (I'm dating an Indiana Jones dork ). Ford plays a ruffian Bank-robber cowboy who really needs to grow up a bit, but does know the outdoors unlike Wilder, so the two end up traveling together through all kinds of trouble including my favorite incident, getting captured by Indians.

The movie is two hours long and never once looses my attention. I can't even leave to get a cup of tea in the threat of missing some witty banter of Climactic EASY shoot-out. The movie is well done, but I did notice an error. (A tiny one). Simply, that Wilder is a Hasidic Jew going to teach Orthodox Jews, which can have a lot of conflicts between each other...so it was just a little weird. Anyways, The movie is PG-13 simply for some gunfighting, so I might screen it before showing children just because your own boundaries may vary.
Okay, so the only clip I could find was the end of the opening credits, but it's better than nothing. Of course, it does make this movie look like its in Yiddish. Its English. Trust me.



The Flick Chick, Signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment