Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24th: It's a Wonderful Life

We lived in a teeny home until I was in the third grade, my family and I. One of my most distinct memories is waking my dad up on weekend mornings when the sun was finally up because I had something new to talk about.
Once, I don't remember when for there were to many conversations to have in order, I asked him what his favorite movie was. He asked the question back, and I told him I couldn't have a favorite (as reflected in my project choice, and most of the rest of my interests). Well, my father told me his favorite movie was It's a Wonderful Life , so when I watched this for the first time that I could remember the plot, I think part of the reason I loved it so much was because how much of my father I saw in it.

The movie came out in 1946 starring Jimmy Stewart, currently my favorite actor, in the first thing I can really remember him in, another part of this movie that links me to my father who has a thing for Mr. Stewart. Anyways, the movie begins with a meeting of powerful angels, debating over how to help a man named George Bailey that they've received a lot of prayers about, so they show the story of his life. This man has spent his entire life giving up everything he has for others, giving up his dreams of traveling, but finding an amazing wife (Donna Reed) and staying in town where everyone knows him. Well, after a banking problem occurs in the bank he took over after his father's death, Bailey finally snaps and decided everything would be better if he were never born.....
This is when the angels send Bailey Clarence, a wingless angel who's to take on Bailey's cause to earn his wings and show him what the world would have been like without Bailey giving everything he had.

This movie is referenced EVERYWHERE. For one, tons of sitcoms love to make one of their characters the 'Bailey' in an episode to get them to see what their world would have been like, and the movie also had a part in Bruce Almighty where after watching Bailey tell a girl he'll give her the moon by pulling it down with a lasso, and then Bruce does it.

Its available in both color and black and white, but mostly back and white. Its a little longer than two hours (and by a little I mean exactly ten minutes). Any age can watch this, but not any age will enjoy it, because its a little slowly plotted, but a beautiful film none-the-less.



Well, in America today, I guess. Dunno what tomorrow's movie is yet but wish me luck!
The Flick Chick


But remember, Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment